The silkworm seed sector is the main stay of sericulture industry and Silkworm Seed Production Centres (SSPCs) of NSSO play a vital role in the silkworm seed production and its distribution. NSSO has twenty SSPCs manned by well qualified scientists spread accross the country. These units leave no stone unturned both in setting and surpassing the record in silkworm seed production year after year. The relentless efforts of the personnel and team spirit prevailing at these centres has paved the way for NSSO to create a new record in the seed production arena every year.
Eighteen SSPCs established in 8 states of the country, produce and supply high quality, silkworm hybrids (F1) of both multi and bivoltine varieties as per region specific requirements. In addition, P1 grainage located at K.R.Nagar caters to the requirements of P1 dfls of NSSO as well as other states.
Activities of SSPCs are
- Supply of quality parental seed (P1 Dfls)
- To supply incubated and black boxed P1 seed to identified adopted seed farmers at specified intervals
- To ensure disinfection and supervision of seed crop rearing
- Disinfection of grainage, equipment and maintenance of hygiene
- Maintenance and service of equipment
- Examination of seed cocoons before purchase, including pupal testing
- Procurement of adequate quantity of matching seed cocoons of component races
- Procurement of bivoltine seed cocoons from Adopted Seed Rearers at SSPCs by constituting a purchase committee.
- Sorting out of seed cocoons such as shapes not conforming to breed characters / deformed along with flimsy, inferior, melted cocoons i.e. quality assessment of seed cocoons
- Sex separation of pupae in the case of bivoltine hybrid preparation is a must and to be followed without fail
- Management of optimum environmental conditions meticulously during the process of egg preparation
- Handling moths of component races separately
- Fujiwara method of mother moth examination
- Preservation of layings, limiting to safe periods, in exigency
- Conducting of embryo test and test hatching for hibernated bivoltine hybrid dfls before release
- Supply of incubated F1 dfls
- Proper accounting of sale proceeds lot-wise
- SSPCs in south will produce PM x CSR2 / PM x FC2 as crossbreed dfls, CSR / Double Hybrids / New hybrids as bivoltine hybrids
- SSPCs in West Bengal Ni x Bi and N x M12(W) and its reciprocal as crossbreed layings.
- SSPCs in North will produce bivoltine traditional and Double hybrid dfls
- SSPC Jorhat in Assam will produce bivoltine traditional and new hybrids as per the requirement of north-eastern states.
Achievements – Silkworm Seed Production Centres
The silkworm seed sector is the mainstay of sericulture industry and the Silkworm Seed Production Centres of NSSO play a pivotal role in the silkworm seed production and its distribution. NSSO has twenty SSPCs manned by well qualified scientists spread across the country. These units leave no stone unturned both in setting and surpassing the record in silkworm seed production year after year. The relentless efforts of the personnel and the team spirit prevailing at these centres have paved the way for NSSO to create a new record in the seed production arena every year.