The Silkworm Seed Production Centres of NSSO located across the length and breadth of the country, play a significant role in the production of commercial silkworm seed and its distribution. The silkworm seed sector is the main stay of sericulture industry, and Silkworm Seed Production Centres (SSPCs) of NSSO play a vital role in silkworm seed production and its distribution. The major objective of these sixteen ISO certified centres, spread across the country, is to produce quality silkworm hybrids as per the specific need of the region. These SSPCs are manned by well qualified scientists. Based on the conditions prevailing, availability of infrastructure, trained manpower and raw materials, targets were fixed for individual SSPCs. The production targets given to Silkworm Seed Production Centres of southern India were solely bivoltine silkworm hybrids owing to the growing acceptance for bivoltine sericulture and also the expertise available in large scale commercial bivoltine loose egg production in the region. The eastern zone produces Nistari x Bivoltine and Nistari x M12W DFLs, whereas the northern zone produces only bivoltine hybrid DFLs.
It is a matter of great pride to state that NSSO shoulders the major responsibility of meeting about 70% of the country’s requirement of bivoltine hybrid DFLs. The success of NSSO mainly lies in the product quality, greater acceptance of the brand and the trust reposed in the organization by the end user.
In addition, P1 bivoltine grainage located at K. R. Nagar caters to the requirements of P1 dfls of NSSO as well as other states.
Activities of SSPCs are
- To supply incubated and black boxed P1 seed to identified adopted seed farmers at specified intervals
- To ensure disinfection before and after seed crop rearing
- Supervision of seed crop rearing at regular intervals
- Disinfection of grainage building, equipment and ensure maintenance of hygiene
- Maintenance and service of equipment
- Examination of seed cocoons before purchase, including pupal testing
- Procurement of adequate quantity of matching seed cocoons of component races
- Procurement of bivoltine seed cocoons from Adopted Seed Rearers at SSPCs by constituting a Purchase Committee.
- Assessment and sorting out of seed cocoons such as shapes not conforming to breed characters / deformed along with flimsy, inferior, melted cocoons i.e. quality assessment of seed cocoons
- Sex separation of pupae in case of bivoltine hybrid preparation is a must and should be followed without fail
- Management of optimum environmental conditions meticulously, during the process of egg preparation
- Handling moths of component races separately
- Fujiwara method of mother moth examination
- Preservation of layings, limiting to safety periods, in exigency
- Conducting embryo test and test hatching for hibernated bivoltine hybrid dfls before release
- Supply of incubated F1 dfls
- Proper accounting of sale proceeds lot-wise
- SSPCs in south will produce – CSR / Double Hybrids / New hybrids as bivoltine hybrids
- SSPCs in West Bengal – Ni x Bi and N x M12(W) and its reciprocal as crossbreed layings.
- SSPCs in North will produce – traditional bivoltine and Double hybrid dfls
- SSPC Jorhat in Assam will produce bivoltine traditional and new hybrids as per the requirement of north-eastern states.
Achievements – Silkworm Seed Production Centres
The silkworm seed sector is the mainstay of sericulture industry and the Silkworm Seed Production Centres of NSSO play a pivotal role in the silkworm seed production and its distribution. NSSO has sixteen SSPCs manned by well qualified scientists spread across the country. These units leave no stone unturned both in setting and surpassing the record in silkworm seed production year after year. The relentless efforts of the personnel and the team spirit prevailing at these centres have paved the way for NSSO to create a new record in the seed production arena every year.