NSSO is a premier silkworm seed production organization in the country producing quality silkworm seed. It has a wide network of units spread accross ten states in India where mulberry sericulture is practised. It comprises of a network of units viz., Basic Seed Farms, Silkworm Seed Production Centres, Seed Cocoon Procurement Centres and Cold Storage Plants, which have been established with set objectives. The main functions are maintenance, multiplication and supply of basic seed of authorised multivoltine and bivoltine silkworm pure breeds, crop monitoring and procurement of seed cocoons,production of bivoltine, multi x bivoltine and multi x multivoltine silkworm hybrid dfls, preservation of commercial hybrid DFLs for periods ranging from 20 days to 10 months, apart from preserving different breeds of P1 DFLs and distribution of high quality commercial silkworm seed to the farmers apart from providing technical inputs. These activities are planned, monitored coordinated and evaluated on regular basis by the NSSO headquarters, situated at the Central Silkboard Complex at Bangalore.
Eleven Basic Seed Farms situated in the states of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala, eleven Silkworm Seed Production Centres belonging to these four states, two Seed Cocoon Procurement Centres in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu and two Cold Storage Plants situated at Mysore and Hosur directly report to NSSO Head Quarters. Apart from this, the P1 Silkworm Seed Production Centre situated at K.R.Nagar in Karnataka, also reports directly to NSSO H.Q.
While the activities of the units in the southern India are directly overseen by the headquarters, those of East and North East India are monitored through Zonal Silkworm Seed Organisation (ZSSO) located at Raiganj in West Bengal and those of North India are overseen by ZSSO, Majra, Dehradun in Uttarkhand.
In addition to this, NSSO Headquarters takes up the following important works:
- Implementation of Central Silk Board (Amendment) Act, 2006
- Implementation of CRC Discount Scheme
- Planning, coordination and supply of layings for Authorization Trials
- Preparation of Annual Action Plan and periodical monitoring of its execution
- Implementation of various components under Central Sector Schemes.
- Coordination of Cluster Promotion Programme (CPP)
- Monitoring and coordination of Institute Village Linkage Programme (IVLP)
- Scientific Advisory Committee meetings and Uniform Price Administration committee meetings
- Coordination and supply of seed cocoons for Private Registered Seed Producers
Monitoring of adherence by Silkworm Seed Production Centres to the Quality Management System ISO 9001-2015
National Silkworm Seed Organization
Central Silk Board
Ministry of Textiles-Govt. of India
CSB Complex, B.T.M. Layout